The board of elections in Haiti has officially put an end to hip-hop star and activist Wyclef Jean's attempt to launch a presidential campaign in his homeland. Although the singer was born in Haiti and has been actively involved in disaster relief since the nation was devastated by an earthquake in January, authorities ruled that he does not qualify to be on the ballot. No reason was given, but sources believe Jean's longtime residency in the U.S. was behind the decision, as Haiti reportedly requires presidential candidates to live in the country for five consecutive years. Now, the musician has issued a statement about the ruling.

"It is with a heavy heart that I tell you today that the board of elections in Haiti has disqualified me from my run for the presidency of the country. Though I disagree with the ruling, I respectfully accept the committee's final decision, and I urge my supporters to do the same. We must all honor the memories of those we've lost--whether in the earthquake, or at anytime--by responding peacefully and responsibly to this disappointment.